Calibrating watt,SWR modulation meters ?

For any general discussions, if your posts topic matches one of the other forums do not post it in here, use the correct forum for the topic.
StrightClaw
Light User
Light User

Calibrating watt,SWR modulation meters ?

Post by StrightClaw »

Can someone tell me is there a way to calibrate these myself. I have a PDC 700 and a PDC 600. I think the 700 is OK but the 600 seems off id like to be able to check them both if there is a way to do this.
RedEye
Light User
Light User

Post by RedEye »

The proper way is with calibrating equipment....
But if you want to really try to get them close yourself, Find a few friends with QUALITY meters and have them meet where there is a good antenna setup, and see if both good meters agree on the radio output and SWR of the setup. If they do, you can assume those are good readings and then, hook your meter up, and set to the specs from the good meters. Usually with 2 trim pots inside the meter. You won't be able to calibrate the sweep, just the static setting. Remember to set the meter to zero (usually on the front of the meter, plastic screw coming through the lens or just below). DON"T use the zero adjust to calibrate the meter.

This is NOT ACCURATE, just a way to make you feel better about the meter.... If it is a good quality meter, spend the few bucks to get it calibrated properly. Find a local Ham Club, they usually have the contacts to make it happen!
73's