Cobra 2000 GTL modulation mod

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
hijacker

Post by hijacker »

Hello All,
Can anyone tell me how to increase the swing in modulation? All I get is 5 watts dead key with swing to about 8 or 9 watts at best, even with a cobra power hand mic, I did the clarifier mod and it works great, the radio sure use some help in the modulation department. thanks for reading this post.
Hijacker :)
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

Did you try removing the limiter? I think its TR24 in that radio.
I would also go over the transmitter tuning as well.
K.C.

Post by K.C. »

Your not going to get that BIG RADIO sound out of a 2000 unless you mod the heck out of it and then most likely it will sound like poo. Have the radio tuned correctly by a tech who has a clue,you should see around 15 watts AM and 25 SSB with about 85 to 90% mod with a 3 or 4 watt key. These radios just wont do 100% mod with out modifications that will rob it of the great sounding audio that 2000's are know for. Try this. Goggle R114 mod for uniden grant XL,this mod will widen the bandwidth of the audio so it....among other things make it sound louder. The older Grants and 148's have the same board and this mod will work on a 2000. I have 2 of em done this way and they sound outstanding with a D-104!

As it is....I guess you could turn your key down to 1 or 2 watts to get more modulation,the VR for this is towards the back of the radio on the right side beside the little transformer.

...by the way. DONT CLIP ANYTHING!
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

If you want to allow more mod I highly recommend that you install a 800Ohm - 1KOhm resistor in series with the center leg of TR24 (cut the track and bridge the cut with the resistor, quick and easy), that ensures that the AMC still functions, but allows more modulation before it kicks in.

I say 800 Ohms - 1K because I have found that sometimes 800 is not enough, or 1K is too much, try the 800 Ohm first and see if that does enough, either way it will increase its mod.

Do not remove the limiter, that is not good practice, it is better to keep it intact, set it properly, and use a decent mic instead, overall your mod will sound better.

I also agree, make sure the power is not set too high, on similar chassis radios I tend to find the best power output for good modulation (after moding the AMC) is around 3 watts, on soe radios it may go up to about 5 watts and still be OK, nly way to find out is to try it.

PS, look on the site for mods... there is a fair amount there, including the one I just mentioned for the AMC
jonindiana
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by jonindiana »

Remove TR26 and thats for the AM Modulation does not affect the ALC
www.fishercbradiotechnologies.com
The best for Galaxy Mods