SS158 EDX 23mhz when turned on???

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
Flash
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Flash »

I have a SS-158 EDX nearly 1 year old.
When I turn on the radio it shows 23xxx mhz on freq. counter. No TX/RX?
I have to push the High/Low band button in/out one time and it will jump to the 27 mhz band. Once on 27mhz it stays there.
I realigned the PLL ...did not seem to help?

Not sure if it is a separate problem but sometimes it will just stop transmitting? Shows a signal on a near by radio but no power on the watt meter? Does not go off freq. just stops TXing. Very intermittent.
Sometimes it drops out soon after turn on and sometimes it will work for hours before The TX drops.

Any ideas guys?
Thanks
Flash
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

The intermittent transmit problem could be bad solder connections, I would check for those. The problem with having to press the band button is acting like a problem with the math chips (binary adders). I have had this problem with radios in past and found one of the chips bad. I would check for bad soldering around the math chips before trying to determine if it is a bad chip.
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by captian_radio »

Flash I have had the hi low button stick on me sometimes and the counter looks like its scanning,I would suspect the hi/low switch.
Bob
Flash
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Flash »

Thanks for the reply guys. I will check the areas you mention and let ya know the results.
Thanks again...
Flash
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

If the radio is between S/N T70500000 and T70502000, change the 10.240 MHz crystal X1 and realign the PLL section.

On some radios, you may get away with just re-soldering the crystal, but it is best to just replace the crystal.
Rick.
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by captian_radio »

Rick wheres a good place to get replacement crystals? I have one that has stamped on it 10.24000,seems like it may have a tighter tolerance might try it sometime in mine.
Bob
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

Bob,
The crystal in your radio should be just fine.
It should be a 10.24000 MHz, term I used 10.240 MHz in my last is just a general term for the 10.24000 MHz xtal.
Rick.
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by captian_radio »

Tnx Rick, still watching the 158 postings with interest. Hey I will be waiting for the next new trouble shooting teaser when you start the fix for the famous 158 drifting problem!! lol
Bob
Flash
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Flash »

Hi Rick, Thanks for the reply!
I have seen many of the galaxy radios with the 23-24 mhz problem that resoldering or replaceing the 10.240 cured.
I did not consider :idea: resoldering the 10.240 in this radio since pushing the band button would always make it jump to 27mhz. and once it locks up it stays on 27mhz :?:
I will resolder it and see if it helps.
Thanks again... :wink:

Bob, you can get any of the RCI/SuperStar componant parts (most of which fit the newer Galaxys also) direct from Ranger. They use a shop in Arizona for repair and replacment parts.

Flash
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by captian_radio »

Interesting Flash because I have contacted Ranger and they stated that they don't carry any replacement crystals?
Bob
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

Ranger does not like to sell direct, I have had that problem as well, usually they will refer you to one of their distributors.
Flash
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Flash »

Sorry guys, That last post did not make much sence did it.
I said you could buy direct from Ranger then (in the same breath) said they use a shop in Arizona.
I use to be a authorized Ranger dealer and bought everything direct. Now they use distributors and we have to go through them.
The shop I mentioned is not one of the distributors for radios. It is for repairs and parts orders called Radio Shop Supplies. Check out the web site radioshopsupplies.com They are RCI's exclusive parts suppliers.
You can order parts right off the web site. Very reasonable as well.

Thanks for all the help guys. I do 99% of the repairs here but like Rick I am very busy and can not spend to much time troubleshooting (all schematic reading and serious troubleshooting I have to do after hours when no one is around) as the shop is full of customers all the time. I thought maybe you guys have seen this problem with the 158 and could give me a "quick fix" as I have sold many of them but only one or two have come in for repairs that were very minor.

Anyway you guys have been a big help for which I thank you.

Flash