I'm famous

This is a place for you to say hello to people.
SatCure

I'm famous

Post by SatCure »

...and modest, too. 8)

I was involved in CB radio repair in the UK back in the eighties. I wrote "The Midnight Express" newsletters, various articles for the UK CB Radio magazine, and "The CB Eprom Data Book" which was ostensibly telling you how to convert a rig to 10 metres but, if you had half a brain you could use the methods to add lower bands instead!

I'm also a lifelong friend of USA CB Guru Lou Franklin, who has published many books and still sells books and mod kits from his base in Tucson, Az.

Martin
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

Well, hello Mr Pickering... :-)

I purchased your book many years ago, when I lived in the UK, small world really eh !
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

I'm famous to

Post by Rick »

Hi Martin,

I do not know if you remember me my handle used to be Moonraker or Unit 148 mobile, do you still see Steve T.

Cheers
Rick.
SatCure

Re: I'm famous

Post by SatCure »

Sorry for the slight delay in replying. At the time (2006) yes, I did see Steve occasionally. Now I live outside the UK so I don't see him, except via Skype. But he's still alive and well, AFAIK.

I left my HiGain V back in the UK when we moved. I must ask my son whether he trashed it.

Sorry, Rick, I have trouble remembering my own name these days!
tonka

Post by tonka »

AFTER 6 Years i stumble on this thread.....
Thats the internet for you...
Yes, Still alive and kicking...

stevetonks@uk2.net
Steve Tonks
Tonks Comunications - Yes I'm back !
www.cbstation.co.uk
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

It's good to see you are still around!
12footer
First Name: Sean

Post by 12footer »

AFTER 6 Years i stumble on this thread.....
Thats the internet for you...
Yes, Still alive and kicking..
LOL Me too! I have the databook also, Scott! A little ragged and torn, but it's still here, minus the front cover and first three r four pages from a puppy assault some years ago.

I used to rarely check-into the forum due to multitasking two careers at one time (no free brain cells)....
Initially, when I tried to reply this thread in the forum for once, the PW I have from Defpom's data site must've been a diferent one, because the automated "gaurdian" thought I was a spammer, and booted me :oops: Been a long time, i guess!
But now I'm 'retired' and have time to read and contribute (when possible) here.
SatCure

Post by SatCure »

Sun, Jun 26, 2016

Well, I'm still alive and well and about to start collecting my pension! Doesn't time fly?
1981 seems like only a couple of years ago, when I bought my first "legal" CB radio and set it up in a tiny wooden shed at the bottom of my garden in Stockton-on-Tees. Unlike Lou Franklin, my first words were not "I need more power!" but "I need less bleedover!" It took only a little research to discover that I needed a "crystal filter" and that I had to add (or remove?) a resistor to get better impedance matching. Thus, my little Maxcom 40 (from memory) became an infinitely better receiver and my journey into CB radio modification began. A local "modjer" explained how to switch in a capacitor to create a "private" channel. Then I got Lou's famous "THE CB PLL DATA BOOK" and started to design my own modification boards, including one for 10 metres (which I never sold - it couldn't legally be sold).

Then I joined Steve Tonks selling (and later repairing) satellite TV equipment.
Currently, on this Greek island, I have no "shack" and nowhere at all to work, since my wife turfed my "stuff" out of the spare bedroom. So my plan is to build a tiny breeze-block shed and work in there.

Martin