DX959 - using the onboard frequency counter for alignment?

For discussions on CB Radio Alignment and Tuning
SD002

Post by SD002 »

:?:
I have a Galaxy 959 which has an onboard frequency counter that I know is fairly accurate because the numbers also match another external (inline on coax between transmitter and antenna) freq. counter that I have and another radio station's report of the frequency that I'm transmitting on are all the same numbers.. My radio is transmitting and receiving on channel 1 at 26.967 MHZ instead of 26.965 MHZ.. Likewise there is a .002 MHZ difference on the rest of the AM & SSB channels as well. I'm planning on unlocking and extending the clarifier which will require a PLL alignment when completed. Either way the radio needs a PLL alignment... So.... I'm wondering if I can perform the PLL alignment using the frequency counters that I now have without having to buy another one that's capable of connecting to TP3 on the PCB?
My question is:

The 1st step:
Can I adjust the AM frequency by setting the radio to CH 1, AM, RX mode, clarifier control to center detent, and adjust L20 until I get 26.965 MHZ shown on radio's onboard freq. counter? I'll also compare these numbers to the other coaxial external frequency counter which will be in line??
The 2nd step:
I will set USB freq. by setting the radio to CH 1, USB mode, clarifier control to center detent. Whistle while transmitting on TX and adjust L21 until the frequency reads 26.965 MHZ.
The 3rd step:
Iwill set LSB freq. by setting the radio to CH 1, LSB mode, clarifier control to center detent. Whistle while transmitting on TX and adjust L22 until I get 26.965 MHZ...
Can anyone tell me if this idea will work or do I need to purchase another expensive freq. counter so I can use the numbers and test points that CB Tricks show to use?? Thanks for any help you can offer.... SD002
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: DX959 - setup using the onboard frequency counter

Post by Rick »

If you are looking to do the job right, you need to setup the PLL section using a standalone frequency counter.

You may get away using the onboard frequency counter, but if anyone as adjust the carrier frequency or the counter in self then you readings will be wrong.

It always best to setup using the test points and the right test kit.

Good luck.
Rick.
SD002

Post by SD002 »

:)
Thanks for your help on this subject Rick.... I really appreciate your input. I guess I'll probably go ahead and try to set the PLL alignment using the 959's freq. counter and compare it with the external freq. counter that goes in line between the radio and antenna and hope for the best... Unless more ideas are posted on this thread that I should consider..... Thanks again..... SD002
willee

Post by willee »

My Galaxy DX959 does not have the test post soldered into the TP6 hole.
Is there a reason this was not installed by the factory?

I have a HP 5381A frequency counter but when I probe the TP6 hole the radio audio goes dead and the frequency counter shows nothing.
The counter works fine on TP5 when setting the AM offset.
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

Your counter probe is loading down the circuit, if you have a 10:1 probe, use it, there will be less loading of the circuit.