A-99 Fiberglass "splinters"

For discussions dealing with CB Antenna Systems.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Group,

I have a Solarcon A-99 Base antenna with the grounding radial kit. It was purchased used, and is several years old. It is now installed and working very well, but.........during the installation I found out that the fiberglass was shedding very sharp pieces when touched (used leather gloves after first touch :wink:). I know it is not a problem now that the antenna is in the air, but what might be the best way to curtail this type of damage in the future. Will using a clear spray of some sort keep the fiberglass in better shape, without causing any detrimental Xmit/Recv issues? What is the preferred preservation method on fiberglass antennas? Thanks all....

Joe
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Group,

Was thinking that a lacquer spray, or maybe even applying a polishing wax might work to protect the antenna....

Joe
Electrons-Not just for breakfast anymore....
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

I actually use an A99 myself, I spray painted my one when I noticed the original covering was gone from the surface when I repaired a broken top section.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Defpom wrote:I actually use an A99 myself, I spray painted my one when I noticed the original covering was gone from the surface when I repaired a broken top section.
What did you decide to use to spray your antenna? I do have some spray lacquer on hand, and will most likely be raising the antenna by about 10' soon anyway. So, might take that opportunity to set it on some benches on the ground and spray it then.

As a side note, I tried to use Photobucket to host my photos and post them here, but seems that your system decided they were a spam attempt. Are we limited to the use of the built in image hosting methods then? Not a problem, just limits things a bit sometimes is all.

Thanks for your comment, and I look forward to more in the future....

Joe
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

I just used plain acrylic spray paint, it does not give a perfect finish or anything, but I will help to protect the antenna a bit.

Certain tags and text are blocked in posts, due to them being commonly used by spammers, try linking o the image in a different way.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Will try linking to photos below again. Thanks for info.

Seems that the IMG command in BBCode format is allowed, but not if using HTML instead. Will keep that in mind....

Joe

(Linked photos removed in the interest of faster loading here.)
Animal
Light User
Light User

Post by Animal »

I think the original finish is something called a gel-coat (as used on marine craft hulls etc)

Rub yours lightly (not too much or you'll go blind!) with aluminium oxide abrasive cloth (about 60 grit) then give it another coat.

Finish off with some SWR bees-wax & a chamois leather for a hi-gloss finish :wink:
You're 5 & 9 - what's your QRZ again???
warhorse
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

antron etc

Post by warhorse »

pref the last post-pure class.nice 1.

About three rolls of self Amalgamating tape does the trick make more stable with pvc elec tape on the thin bits, or use large heat shrink if you can get. no the prob, rays of the ultra violet break down the ariels fibreglass body.

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Feb%2020 ... seller.htm

http://www.n1wpn.net/antron_99_exposed.htm
warhorse
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

antron etc

Post by warhorse »

pref the last post-pure class.nice 1.

About three rolls of self Amalgamating tape does the trick make more stable with pvc elec tape on the thin bits, or use large heat shrink if you can get. no the prob, rays of the ultra violet break down the ariels fibreglass body.

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Feb%2020 ... seller.htm

http://www.n1wpn.net/antron_99_exposed.htm
mrgumby
First Name: michael

Post by mrgumby »

I went over mine with some resin years ago when mine splintered..now a buddy of mine has it and its still going strong
hamguy2
Light User
Light User

Post by hamguy2 »

hi avenger, ive had mine for 10 years nearly its the origal antron 99 ,ive heard of the solarcon getting it id use some good apoxy or resin type material or some heatshrink ok ,im located in australia ,thx david nsw :D