Radio Swishing noise

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
StrightClaw
Light User
Light User

Radio Swishing noise

Post by StrightClaw »

This may not be the section to ask this question but Ill ask anyway.I have a swishing noise that I have to deal with about half the time Im on my radio.It's pulsating like a radar is turning nearby. It's prety fast though. To fast to be that.I dont think it's off the power lins. I just don't have any idea. Just wondering if anyone here has ever had this problem.Or may know what it is. The receive needle goes up and down swish swish swish drives me crazy.
pitbikeman
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by pitbikeman »

Sounds similiar to the problem I just had. The source of my RFI was a home ionizer. I'd start turning things off and unplugging everything in your house if It's a base radio and see if anything changes.

Hawk
StrightClaw
Light User
Light User

Post by StrightClaw »

I have the same problem in my mobile sitting in the drive. I turned the power off at the main but still get the noise. It's at different times of the day also.Or night. But thanks for you input pitbikeman
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

It could be a clothes dryer or some other electrical appliance, it may not even be yours, it could be a neighbours.
StrightClaw
Light User
Light User

Post by StrightClaw »

Thanks! Scott I hope it's not something like that but your right could be.
StrightClaw
Light User
Light User

Post by StrightClaw »

A strange thing I found out this morning about this noise. I run channel 40 I don't have the noise right now but it's down on channel 29 strange. I think Ill keep an eye everyday and see if it's moving around.
pitbikeman
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by pitbikeman »

My knowledge of harmonics is limited but I bet it has something to do with them. That may explain why it's louder on some channels than others. Good luck and send me a pm if you find out what the disturbance is because I'm going to compile a list of these types of problems for future reference.
StrightClaw
Light User
Light User

Post by StrightClaw »

I have found out that it's at times on 40 29 31 and so on at the same time. And then it's on other channels at different times.I don't get it.
StrightClaw
Light User
Light User

Post by StrightClaw »

GOOD NEWS I have found the source of my noise. A cordless Drill Battery Charger. It has a little light that blinks when its charging and as it blinks my radio has the swishing sound. The strange thing is it only does it when the charger is out in my Garage. If I plug it in, here in the house it's ok. I may have to add another ground at the electrical Panel out their. Ill try that in the near future.
pitbikeman
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by pitbikeman »

Congrats... I know how much of a pain in the neck that was.