Can You Power A CB Radio with a Computer Power supply?

For any general discussions, if your posts topic matches one of the other forums do not post it in here, use the correct forum for the topic.
jo3yp

Can You Power A CB Radio with a Computer Power supply?

Post by jo3yp »

Hello All,

My 12v power adapter for my cb radio has broken! Ive been told that you can power the unit with a computer power supply which is obviously 12v output. Is this true because im not sure about the AC/DC and i dont want to blow my rig up!! thanks joe
booger351
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by booger351 »

As long as it is 12v DC it should work, the other thing pay attention to is the amp rating, depending on what type of radio you are running, you would probably need at least 3 or 4 amps for a stock radio, and closer to 10 amps for a higher end ssb radio.
If you hook it up and the lights in the radio dim way down when you key down and talk you need a higher amp rated power source.
warhorse
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

computer psu

Post by warhorse »

yup i have 1 here used to run a kenwood ts50s off it 100 watts no ripple, get 1 rated at least 10 amps ATX is no good, But the old 386-486 AT sups work ok. so yes the mod can be done. the voltage runs well within 12-14 volts even runing say 100watts.
warhorse
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

switchmode psu

Post by warhorse »

found this on me travs worth a look.

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ ... supply.htm
johhn
Dead Key
Dead Key

power supply

Post by johhn »

Also go to Buy Reilant .com , 12volt power supply.
$47.99 15 amp Pyramid supply PS 14 KX. :P
zeppfrog
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by zeppfrog »

look at my post on the cheapskates power supply, and i get good results from at and atx. there is a link there as well to a nice mod for your pc power supply, but if you are lazy, tap it into the yellow and black on one of the drive connections and turn on the pc... (if you remove it, you need to preload it with either a 10 ohm 10 watt sandbar resistor, or use a parking or signal light on the 5v (red) and ground wires)